Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

Weekend Update

As always, my weekend didn't go exactly according to plan.  And also as usual, it was mainly because of filling the glue-up time with other tasks and ending up knee deep in multiple projects.  I did get a very good start on one storm window.  I didn't get all of the photos I wanted to though.  Partially because my wife was busy with projects of her own, partly because I didn't want to break a really good workflow, and partially to hide my shame over using a $10.00 home center back saw to cut the tenons.  A situation I hope to remedy in the very near future.  Long story short, the storm frame is out of the clamps and just needs some slight planing to fit and a coat or two of paint prior to installation.

Cutting the groove for the glass.  This later became a rabbet.

Cutting mortices.


During the glue-up, I also finished a very simple peg rail to hang and organize the many patterns for tin work that I have acquired and developed over the past decade.  It's not pretty, but it is effective.  I'll post a photo when the reorganization is complete.

And finally, I made some time to work on the tin panel I showed in last weeks post.  I had promised my wife a punched tin lantern (also known as a barn lantern or Paul Revere lantern) quite some time ago.  All of the cleaning and organizing in the shop finally got me motivated.

Last week's photo.

Finished panel.
Bending the panel around a shop-made wood form.
In the round.
This is the pattern used to make the lantern, with a few additional bits made by eye later.



Two lanterns with the pattern and the two spacers that will be soldered to the body in the next shop session.

That leaves plenty of small steps to fill my limited week night time in the shop.  But I am truly happy just to be working again.  The feeling of fulfillment that comes from creating by hand is a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw one of these planes go for over a 100 bucks on Ebay today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prices that people pay for these planes can be crazy. I know that some people don't like them, but I an a fan. It fits many needs while I continue to collect the wooden planes.

    Thanks for commenting, I hope you'll visit often.

    ReplyDelete