Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

It's been too long...

It's been too long since I last posted, but hardly due to inactivity.  If I were smart, I would have used the long weekend to finish some of the ongoing projects around the shop.  But being more eager than logical,  this weekend I began a pretty involved, project.  I expect that it will take me awhile to complete, even though it's a fairly small scale project.  I'll write more about that as the week progresses, but I thought I'd tease it here a little.

My stock awaits...but coffee first.
And just to round out this post, I'd like to finish up the Christmas post.  Last week, I shared some of the gifts I was fortunate enough to receive.  This week, I'll share a couple of the projects I gave as gifts.

My daughter had been asking for a dollhouse, and we weren't thrilled with the plastic options available, or paying a great deal extra for the privilege of working with pre-cut pieces.  So of course I built it from scratch.  We based the design somewhat loosely on a small house at a local living history museum.  We gave it to her Christmas morning with only primer so that she and mom could paint her color scheme of choice together (I'm assuming a lot of pink and purple).  Below, you can see it with the painting begun.

Proud owner of a brand new house.


We had to have a homemade gift for our son as well.  After hours of watching The Woodwright's Shop and seeing daddy with his tools, he's been dying to have some of his own. What better gift than a place to store those tools as he gets them.  So I began a miniature traditional floor chest.  He and I will add some tills together as he needs them.

Can you guess his favorite guest on The Woodwright's Shop?

The tool chest was a bit of a pain.  I decided to repurpose some "solid" oak from an old entertainment center we no longer needed.  Of course that meant it was mostly plywood, and old and warped plywood at that.  But I managed to get it together, and I'm sure it will outlive me.  Of course it had to be the same color as mine.

Next time, some real woodworking.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeffrey.

    That are two great gifts you made there.
    Our daughter got a homemade doll house that my father made. It was THE thing that Christmas. It is an instant heirloom piece.
    The same goes for the tool chest. That is such a cool gift.
    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonas,

    My wife and I are trying to instill the appreciation of handmade, quality items in our children. We also want them to grow up using their imagination and learning to make and create. I hope these two gifts will feel the hands of many generations of children in our family. Thanks for visiting, I truly appreciate your comments and encouragement. I hope you'll visit often.

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete